Our Spring 2013 application process is now open. The application deadline is Tuesday, February 5th, 2013. However, admissions are rolling. Please fill the fellow application form.
If you would like to receive an email reminder 24 hours in advance of the Fellow Application due date, please complete form at http://bit.ly/insitereminder.
InSITE has traditionally recruited our Fellows from topNew York City programs: Columbia Business School, Columbia Law School, NYU Stern School of Business, and NYU School of Law. This year, however, we opened the Fellow application to any graduate program based in Boston, New York City, Silicon Valley or Washington, DC.
To be considered, applicants must be:
- Enrolled full-time in a graduate or post-doc program based in Boston, New York City, Silicon Valley or Washington, DC.
- Able and willing to commit a minimum of four semesters in New York City, and two semesters in Boston, Silicon Valley or Washington, DC as an active Fellow with either a Tues or Wed evening available during this time to serve on a Team. (Columbia J-Term students may count their summer as a semester and are thus eligible to apply in their first semester.)
- Willing to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA).An applicant is not technically a Fellow until he or she signs this document. If you are uncomfortable signing the NDA, please do not apply.
If you meet the above criteria, then we welcome your application. Please note that InSITE cannot accept 3Ls or MBA2s in New York City.
When reviewing applicants, we look to a number of factors, including:
- Passion and Dedication: We look for an applicants who have the energy and willingness to commit to an intense and demanding group such as InSITE, on top of their school commitments. We expect our Fellows to become Team Leaders, Officers, or take their own initiative to improve and contribute to the organization in unique ways.
- Interpersonal Skills: We care deeply about finding candidates who have integrity, initiative, leadership, reliability, courtesy, composure, concise & effective communication skills, and analytical ability. Yes, we want it all.
- Industry Experience: We learn from each other, so we seek candidates who have experience in private equity, venture capital, starting a company, technology, engineering, operations, law (especially intellectual property law), or experience in other arenas that developed skills transferable to InSITE.
While we do not seek to fill specific quotas for any of the programs, we recognize that one of the strengths of InSITE is our diversity across different schools/disciplines and our balance of graduating and first-year/earlier year students, which brings stability and continuity. However, first and foremost, we seek applicants who embody the the spirit of InSITE.
To be considered, all applicants must complete the Fellow Application Form and upload one document that includes the three components of the written application. (See below.) Each portion of the application should be no more than one page. (Thus, your application should be a three-page document total.) Each page should include your full name, school, year of graduation, and page number in the top right header margin. The document should be .pdf format. Please name your document using the following convention “Full Name – School – Fellow App S2012.pdf”
The Written Application Components:
- Resume: One page.
- Statement of Interest: One page answering the following:What will you bring to InSITE?
What are you hoping to learn or receive from your InSITE experience?
What is your background, particularly as it relates to InSITE?
What would you be able to contribute to InSITE (in terms of skills, contacts, etc.)?
- VentureBeat Analysis: Write a one page analysis on one of the VentureBeat articles listed below. Analyze the deal as to whether or not you would have made the investment. What are the pros and cons? What other information would you find helpful in making your decision? There is no right or wrong answer. We simply want to know how you think so be clear on your thought process.Studyblue
If you have applied before in the past, please additionally mention at the end how many times you’ve previously applied, when you last applied, and what has changed since your last application.
The InSITE Commitment
InSITE is only possible with the participation and contributions of its Fellows. All prospective InSITE Fellows must be prepared to do the following once admitted to the program:
- Sign the NDA.All InSITE Fellows must sign a standard non-disclosure agreement (NDA) to protect the companies we work with during the year. Recognizing that the Fellows are sometimes involved with other companies during the school year, there is a mechanism to recuse oneself from any given company. If you are unwilling to sign a general NDA on principle, please do not apply.
- Serve on a Team. This requires the candidate to commit either their Tuesday or Wednesday evenings for the next two academic years to InSITE. If there is a class you simply must have on both Tuesday and Wednesday, in either the Fall or Spring term, this year or next, please do not apply. We will normally meet in Midtown between 7pm and 10pm, and we’ll often go out together afterward, so please leave your entire evening free. We do break for holidays as indicated on the schedule.
- Attend All Schedules Events. All Team Meetings, Speaker Events, Alumni Events, etc. are considered mandatory unless you have a class that meets at the scheduled time.
- Support Company Selection and Fellow Recruiting Process. These processes occur every semester in Aug/Sept and Jan/Feb. Responsibilities entail looking out for great startups and students to apply to the program as well as screening candidates and conducting interviews.
- Contribute One Blog Entry per Semester. You will be able to choose from a list of items or propose your own topic.
These are only the minimum roles and responsibilities of the current Fellows and other responsibilities may arise as the program evolves. However, we recognize that our Fellows are students and take this into significant consideration.
We seek candidates who are strong leaders and will help drive the organization during their Fellowship. After the initial semester, we expect our Fellows to serve as a Team Leader and/or an Officer. Even without a formal title, our expectation is that our Fellows constantly seek ways to improve or contribute to the organization.
Still have questions about the application process or InSITE in general? Visit our frequently asked questions page. If you have further questions, you can reach out the our VP’s Recruiting at email@example.com
We have attempted to make our decision process as transparent and fair as possible, but all decisions are final regarding the application process. InSITE reserves the right to accept or refuse any applicant as a fellow of InSITE. InSITE makes no commitment to any applicants of assured entrance into the organization.